Skip to main content

Types of Car Insurance

Find the auto insurance that’s right for you

Illustration of a car driving down a road next to a green field.

What Are the 6 Most Common Types of Car Insurance?

There are six different types of common car insurance. They are liability insurance, collision insurance, comprehensive insurance, uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, personal injury protection insurance and medical payments insurance.

All states but one (New Hampshire) require their drivers to have some of these insurance protections before they hit the road. If you finance or lease a car, your loan company will most likely require even more car insurance on top of the state-required minimum amount of car insurance.

Freeway Insurance agents can find what is best for you. Let’s take a deeper look at the six basic types of car insurance.

  1. Liability Insurance: Almost every state requires some form of liability car insurance that consists primarily of bodily injury or death liability insurance and property damage liability insurance. Liability insurance either pays for the injuries and damages of the other driver(s) if you are at fault in an accident in an at-fault state or it pays for your damages and injuries regardless of who is at fault in a no-fault state.
  2. Collision Insurance: If you are financing or leasing a vehicle, your lender most likely will require collision car insurance. It’s not required by any state, but it’s a good protection to have in an accident. Collision car insurance pays for damage to your vehicle after a wreck or collision with an inanimate object, such as a tree or fence. If you are in a wreck and the other driver is at fault, your collision insurance will kick in after that driver’s insurance has paid for your vehicle damage up to their limits.
  3. Comprehensive Insurance: Another type of car insurance that is not required by states, but typically is required by a lender. Comprehensive insurance kicks in when your vehicle is damaged by events not related to a car wreck, including storms, falling objects and more.
  4. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance: Required by some states, uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance helps pay for your damages and injuries after a wreck with an uninsured – or underinsured – driver or a hit and run driver.
  5. Personal Injury Protection (No-Fault) Insurance: Required by some states, Personal Injury Protection or PIP, is additional medical coverage designed to help drivers who are hurt in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. It generally kicks in before your bodily injury liability and also covers items not typically covered by liability or even your own health insurance. PIP is not available in every state.
  6. MedPay Insurance: Also known as Medical Payments, MedPay is similar to Personal Injury Protection in that it helps people pay medical costs associated with an accident regardless of who is at fault. MedPay is required in lieu of PIP in a few states and is not offered in some states. These two medical insurance coverages cover slightly different items, so it’s best to reach out to your Freeway Insurance agent to find out which one – or both – is suitable to your circumstances.

What is Full Coverage Car Insurance?

Full coverage insurance is the combination of liability insurance, collision insurance and comprehensive insurance. Companies who finance auto loans want to make sure the vehicle they are holding the lien on won’t be a monetary loss for them if it is involved in an accident – whether that’s a multi-car accident, a single car accident, a hail storm or an impact with an inanimate object, such as a tree. Combining these three types of insurance together covers most scenarios where a car may need repairs or is considered totaled.

What are Optional Types of Auto Insurance Coverage?

These protection plans can be added on to your basic plan for additional coverage. The vast majority of these other types of protections are optional, although some are required for specific circumstances and/or types of vehicle. Moreover, there are plenty of optional car insurance coverages to consider:

    1. Gap Insurance: If your car is considered totaled after an accident, Gap Insurance will pay the difference between what a financed/leased car is worth and what you owe.
    2. Rental Car Reimbursement: This will covers the cost of a rental car while your own vehicle is being repaired after a covered accident or event. It pays the difference between what the insurer will pay per day and what you are charged.
    3. SR-22 Insurance: If you’ve been convicted of a DWI or DUI, you’ll most likely need to file an SR-22 certificate with the DMV. SR-22 is a vehicle endorsement required by Motor Vehicle Departments for drivers classified as high-risk. Informally, SR-22 is called by the name DUI insurance or high-risk auto insurance.
    4. New Car Replacement: If your car is considered a total loss after an accident, New Car Replacement will pay you the amount you will need to buy a brand-new, same make and model vehicle.
    5. Non-Owner Car Insurance: This liability insurance is for people who do not own their own car. This coverage may be required for those who have had their drivers license suspended.
    6. Classic Car Insurance: It includes cars between 19-25 years old that are of greater than average value for the same make and model of that year. The vehicle must be in good working condition to be considered a classic car.

Are There Other Types of Car Protections?

Yes, most insurance companies offer a wide selection of additional car protection plans you can add to protect your vehicle. Some protection options include products such as Roadside Assistance, Tire Hazard, and much more.

At Freeway Insurance, we offer the following:

    1. 24/7 Roadside Assistance (towing and labor): A lifeline for stranded drivers, this protection answers the call when you need help fast, whether that’s for a flat tire, out of gas, or have a dead battery.
    2. Tire Hazard: Fast and affordable way to get back on the road if your tire becomes flat or damaged.
    3. Paintless Dent Repair: An affordable way to repair those annoying dings and dents your car picks up from other careless drivers.
    4. Windshield Repair: A low-cost way to insure you have protection if your windshield becomes cracked or broken.
    5. Travel Club with AD&D: Offers multiple benefits that go beyond the normal, common car insurance coverage.
    6. Travel in Mexico: Your U.S. car insurance policy is not in effect if you drive to Mexico. You’ll need to purchase Mexico Travel Insurance before crossing the border.

Check with your Freeway Insurance agent to decide which insurance and protection plans are right for you.

Find Affordable Car Insurance Online Today!

Finding the right insurance that’s affordable and makes sense for the protection of you and your family can be difficult with all the available options. Freeway Insurance agents will listen to your concerns and help you find the right coverage for you. You can call us today at 800-777-5620 and speak to an agent or you are welcome to get a fast and free quote online. Alternatively, you can always stop by one of our many locations.

Over the phone
Visit us