Skip to main content

Low-Cost RV and Motorhome Insurance Available Online

Get a Free Quote Today!

Illustration of an RV driving next to a green field and a Freeway Insurance street sign.

Get A Quote For Affordable RV and Motorhome Insurance Today!

People buy RVs and motorhomes for a variety of reasons, but mostly it boils down to the lure of hitting the open road and saving money otherwise spent on hotels and meals. And now, with the lessons we’ve learned from Covid-19, traveling in your own self-contained apparatus just makes sense. At Freeway Insurance, we offer competitive RV and motorhome insurance rates for your peace of mind.

In most states, your self-powered RV or motorhome requires the same liability insurance you purchase for your passenger vehicles. Depending on the state, that minimum liability coverage either pays for your or the other driver’s medical and property damage costs in the event of an accident – up to your policy limit.

An RV is a serious investment for most people and is also connected to a sense of freedom and achievement. Let Freeway Insurance help you take the proper steps to protect your RV today.

What is the difference between a Recreational Vehicle (RV) and a Motorhome?

For most people, the two terms mean the same thing, but the difference is that all motorhomes are RVs, while not all RVs are motorhomes. Motorhomes are self-propelled and contain most of the amenities of home and while the term RV can certainly encompass motorhomes, it also describes smaller units, such as towable campers.

Towable campers don’t typically need vehicle insurance.

What is RV or Motorhome Insurance?

The answer to this is it depends on exactly what you are talking about when you say motorhome. In the case of Class A, B or C motorhomes, you’ll need – at a minimum – the state-required amount of vehicle insurance.

Couple enjoying motorhome

Just as is the case with passenger vehicles, some motorists decide to add more protection to RVs for additional peace of mind. If your RV is involved in an accident, the costs for injuries and property damage can add up quickly since an RV is typically much larger than regular passenger vehicles. As the person making the decisions about your vehicle insurance needs, you get to decide the amounts you want to insure up to in coverage.

Additionally, you can choose to buy full coverage insurance, which includes liability, plus collision (your damage costs) and comprehensive (damage caused by other than a car accident, such as theft or fire).

How Much Does RV Insurance Cost?

The answer to that question will depend a lot on the coverage you choose for your RV or motorhome as outlined in the paragraph above. Much like regular car insurance, there are a variety of factors insurance companies will take into consideration when quoting you a premium, including:

  • Driving record / accident history
  • Credit reports
  • Place of residence
  • Marital status
  • Type / age of RV
  • Gender

There are RV coverages you can add on to your policy to protect the contents of your RV, as well as other protections such as roadside assistance, windshield repair and more.

Are There Discounts Available for RV Insurance?

Yes! Just like other forms of car insurance, your insurance company is happy to help you find ways to save on your insurance in the form of discounts. Some ways you can save on your RV insurance include:

Home and Car Icon

Bundling – Give your insurance company the opportunity to insure your vehicles and home along with your RV and they’ll reward you with a discount.

Orange icon of a document with a checklist

Safety and Security Features – Where you park your RV, as well as what features it has to protect it from vandalism and theft can earn you a discount.

These are just a couple of the available discounts. Find out what you qualify for by talking to your Freeway Insurance agent.

What Types of Recreational Vehicles are Covered by Motorhome Insurance?

Class A, B and C RVs and motorhomes generally need insurance before they can get on the road, including:

  • Conventional Motor Homes: Class A
  • Professional Bus Conversions: Class A
  • Non-professional Bus Conversions: Class A
  • Camper Vans: Class B
  • Mini Motor Homes: Class C

Some types of “campers” don’t typically need insurance and those include:

  • Fifth Wheel Trailers
  • Conventional Trailers
  • Pop-Up Tent Trailers
  • Trailer with Recreational Cargo Quarters
  • Mounted Truck Campers

Although “towables” and pop-ups are not required by law to have insurance, you might want to consider adding some protection here in case of an accident.

Get RV or Motorhome Insurance Online Today!

At Freeway Insurance, we know you are busy and that is why we do the research for you and find a variety of quotes that best fit your needs and budget. Get a quick quote online, call us at 800-777-5620 or visit us at one of our many locations!

Over the phone
Visit us