Skip to main content

What Does Motorhome Insurance Cover?

Family relaxing in front of their motorhome/RV thanks to the peace of mind that motorhome insurance offers

The age of packing your family into a tiny motorhome is gone. Now, recreational vehicles can be anything from a fully converted, live-in bus to a built-up sprint van to a 75-foot-long luxury coach. Americans’ lives, and their vacations, have become increasingly mobile. As a result, their motorhome insurance needs have expanded. If you’re considering a lifestyle transition to location independence or just wanting a recreational vehicle for family travel, then you’re probably searching “motorhome insurance near me” and trying to figure out your options. To help you make informed decisions, we’ve outlined exactly what motorhome insurance covers and what it doesn’t. Read on to learn more.

What the Recreational Vehicle Classes Are

Motorhomes are categorized by size, Class As being the largest and Cs being the smallest.

Class A motorhomes typically have diesel engines, slide-out sleeping areas, and towing abilities. They range from 26 to 45 feet long. Also known as high liners, Class A motorhomes make it convenient to live on the road.

Class B motorhomes, usually between 17 and 19 feet long, include campers and converted vans. They’re much more fuel efficient than a Class A vehicle; however, they’re much smaller, compacting a sleeping area and cooking station in a tight space.

Class C motorhomes are smaller than giant, luxury Class As and larger than small, efficient Class Bs. These mini-motorhomes are between 22 and 35 feet long. They usually have a cab where there’s a bed. Cooking areas, bathrooms, and dining areas aren’t uncommon.

Your motorhome insurance should cover the class of RV you’re going to purchase. It also should cover the kind of towable trailer you’re going to use. It’s important to speak with your insurance company to verify that both are covered before you hit the road.

What Motorhome Insurance Covers

Motorhome insurance isn’t dissimilar to regular auto insurance. It includes liability, underinsured motorist, uninsured motorist, and comprehensive coverage. It also includes collision insurance. Additionally, motorhome insurance provides emergency expenses, including towing and roadside assistance, in the event of an accident.

Most policies feature total loss replacement coverage. In case of an accident, this coverage will reimburse you with the full value of your RV, if it’s less than five years old.

You may want to consider additional coverage options. For example, your policy also can financially protect the personal items you keep in your recreational vehicle. If you mount a satellite dish, awning, or another accessories to the exterior of your motorhome, your policy can cover that, too.

How to Get Motorhome Coverage for Your RV

Freeway Insurance offers motorhome coverage for Class A, B, C recreational vehicles. We offer insurance for fifth wheel, conventional, pop-up tent trailers, mounted truck campers, and trailers with recreational cargo quarters. Explore our coverage options, which include roadside assistance, uninsured motorists, underinsured motorists, collision insurance, comprehensive coverage, property damage liability, and bodily injury.

To learn more about our motorhome insurance options, call our customer representative team at (800) 777-5620. We’ll provide you with quotes and help you figure out which coverage options work for your vehicle and your budget.

Ready to Get a Quick Quote?